What You Need To Know About Testing
Mariners Learning System™ has Coast Guard approved USCG captain's license testing facilities located throughout the country. Each student wishing to complete one of Mariners Learning System™ Coast Guard approved courses is required to pass a proctored USCG license exam to receive a Certificate of Completion. This Certificate of Completion will be accepted by the Coast Guard in lieu of taking one of their exams for licensing purposes. If a Boat Captain's License candidate fails one or more modules, he or she may test twice without delay of the failed modules. Those who do not pass an exam module after three attempts must wait a period of 45 days to retest. The student will be required to complete the entire course prior to being allowed another three attempts at each module. In this case the student must retest and pass all exam modules.
To sit for a proctored USCG license exam you are required to have a confirmed date and seat in the Mariners Learning System™ proctored exam room. Without this electronic confirmation you will not be permitted to test.
Testing dates/locations close 14 calendar days before the scheduled test date, therefore you must register more than 14 calendar days before the scheduled test date.
Students testing for the first time and also retest students must register via the online registration. Only students who are currently enrolled in a Mariners Learning System™ Course are permitted to register to take a Proctored USCG License Exam.
When you arrive to take the proctored exam you will be required to provide the proctor with a legible copy of your Coast Guard recognized photo identification, your online final exam completion letter(s) and a course evaluation form. These copies will be retained for our records per USCG requirements.
The list of acceptable forms of photo identification includes:
- U.S. drivers license
- U.S. Passport
- Foreign Passport
- Law enforcement credential, with photograph of the applicant, issued by Federal, State or local government
- U.S. Military identification card
- Official identification card issued by a State, or local government.
- Official identification card issued by the Federal Government.
- Merchant Marine Document issued after February 3, 2003
IMPORTANT NOTE: It is your responsibility to provide legible copies of both your identification and Final Exam completion letters. The proctor will not allow you to test unless these documents are provided. If you arrive to the testing facility without any of these required documents you will not be permitted to take the scheduled exam. No exceptions per Coast Guard policy. No other forms of identification will be accepted.
Mariners Proctored Captain's License Testing Cancellation Policy
- Registered students who are unable to attend their scheduled proctored exam are required to cancel their appointment for testing in writing at least 14 calendar days before the scheduled test date.
- Cancellation for testing must sent to the Mariners Learning System™ staff in writing via email to Testing@MarinersLearningSystem.com after which the student must receive written confirmation from Mariners Learning System™ staff in order for the cancellation to be valid.
- If a student does not notify Mariners Learning System™ via email of their intention to change their confirmed proctored exam date at least 14 calendar days prior to the test date or if a student does not attend the registered test date, a $95.00 fee will be assessed the next time the student registers to take a proctored exam.
- If a student does not follow the captain's license testing policy once again at a future test date, the student will be charged another fee of $95.00 when they reschedule.
- As long as this policy is followed there is NO additional charge for changing a confirmed proctored test date.
Still have questions? Contact us at our corporate office for additional assistance.