Package B: (2) 25/50/100 Ton Master Captain's Licenses
Buy one, Get one FREE! Purchase one MLS 25/50/100 Ton Master Deluxe Edition at the regular market price and get a 2nd course for free! Save $995.00
The Master License is the highest level license that you can acquire. This license allows you to operate inspected vessels (7 passengers or more – like a water taxi or dive boat) or uninspected vessels.
This license is given in increments up to 100 tons depending on your boating experience, and can be issued as a 25, 50, or 100 ton license. The USCG does not require that you get a Six-Pack License before you get your Masters, so if you qualify, you can skip the Six-Pack and go straight to your Masters!
There are two additional endorsements that can be added to your license.
- Towing Endorsement: May be issued to those who would like to “commercially assist for a fee” other vessels that may be aground, disabled or out of fuel.
- Auxiliary Sailing Endorsement: This endorsement authorizes the holder to operate inspected sail or auxiliary sailing vessels within the scope and limitations of their license.
This 25/50 or 100 Ton course is USCG approved course is designed for those pursuing a professional career in commercial boat operations and recreational boaters looking to increase their knowledge.
Boat Master License Course Subjects Include:
- Navigational Rules of the Road
- Aids to Navigation
- Electronic Navigation
- Characteristics of Weather Systems
- Lifesaving Equipment & Safety
- Basic Seamanship Skills
- Tides and Currents
- Marine Radio Operation
- Pollution Prevention
- Vessel Handling Skills
- Emergency Procedures
This course satisfies the examination requirement for the 25-ton, 50-ton or 100-ton Master License. The tonnage level of a Master's license issued will be based on the size vessel on which you have your sea service experience. Students who successfully complete the course will be awarded a certificate that will be accepted in lieu of the standard Coast Guard examination!
For this License, a day of Sea Service is defined as at least 4 hours underway on any given calendar day and can be counted back to your 15th birthday. You do not need to know the exact dates - just the number of days each year.
License Operating Area
This Coast Guard Captain License can be issued for the Great Lakes, U.S. Inland Waters or U.S. Near Coastal waters (depending on where you gained your experience).
Included with each Mariners Learning System™ course is 24/7 access to our online instructors. Each instructor is a USCG Licensed Master that has gone through a rigorous approval process meeting the standards of the United States Coast Guard to become a certified instructor. They bring a level of knowledge, experience, and professionalism that adds to the total learning process. In the rare event than an online instructor cannot answer your question, toll free telephone support with one of our Staff Instructors will be provided.
Once the student completes the course quizzes and online Module Exam they make an appointment to take their final proctored exam with Mariners Learning System™. No testing at the Coast Guard Regional Exam Centers. The grading standards are:
The student must pass all modules to receive a certification of completion. If a student fails one or more modules, he or she may retest twice more without delay on the failed modules. Those who do not pass an exam module after three attempts must wait a period of 45 days to retest. The student will be required to complete the entire course prior to being allowed another three attempts at each module. In this case the student must retest and pass all online Exam Modules.
This Deluxe Edition includes two complete sets of the following training materials:
One year's access to our award-winning Internet based narrated lecture and interactive learning system. Included with each Mariners Learning System™ course is 24/7 access to our online instructors. In the rare event that an online instructor cannot answer your question, toll free telephone support with one of our Staff Instructors will be provided.
MLS iVideo Training Series
- Navigational Rules of the Road
- Piloting and General Navigation
- Lifesaving Equipment & Safety
- Emergency Procedures
- Watch a Video Clip
MLS Study Guides
Deluxe Navigator’s Tool Set
- (1) Full sized Long Island Sound Training Chart – 12354TR
- (1) Weems & Plath 12" Nautical Parallel Rule
- (1) Weems & Plath 6" Dividers
- (2) Plotting Pencils
- (1) Plotting Eraser
- (1) Pencil Sharpener
The USCG Master License allows the holder to operate inspected vessels as well as uninspected vessels. Any vessel that is certified (authorized) by the USCG to carry more than 6 paying passengers plus crew must have a Boat Captain who holds a 25/50/100 Ton Master license. Ferry boats, harbor tours boats, whale watch boats are examples of inspected vessels.
There are 4 different Master Licenses a mariner may qualify for such as the Master Inland or Master Near Coastal. Both the amount of sea service time and the size vessels you have been on will influence the license you are eligible for. Master licenses are tonnage rated at 25 GT (gross tons), 50 GT, or 100 GT.
The tonnage you are awarded is determined by the size vessels you've gained experience on in the last 3 years - it's called "recency experience." You are not required to advance through the different licenses one at a time. If you meet the USCG requirements for the master 100GT Near Coastal, you'll get that license as your first license.
The 4 types of up to 100GT Master licenses are listed below along with the requirements:
- Master Inland: 360 days underway experience since age 16; 90 of those 360 days in the last 3 years. Completion of approved course and test.
- Master Inland/OUPV: 360 days underway experience since age 16; 90 of those 360 days in the last 3 years; 90 of those 360 days outside the boundary lines. Completion of the Mariners Learning System™ Coast Guard approved course.
- Master Inland/Mate N.C.: 360 days underway experience since age 16; 90 days of those 360 days in the last 3 years; 180 of those 360 days outside the boundary lines. Completion of the Mariners Learning System™ Coast Guard approved course.
- Master Near Coastal: 720 days underway experience since age 16; 90 of those 720 days in the last 3 years; 360 of those 720 days outside the boundary lines. Completion of the Mariners Learning System™ Coast Guard approved course.
Additional Requirements Include:
- Obtain a Transportation Workers Identification Credential (TWIC Card)
- Minimum age: 19 years old (U.S. Citizenship Required)
- Pass a Physical Examination
- Pass a Drug Test unless enrolled in a USCG-approved random drug program for the last 185 days, and with no failure or refusal to participate in a chemical test for dangerous drugs.
- CPR/First Aid training
- Completion of Mariners Learning System™ USCG-approved Master 25/50/100 Ton online course
- Complete a USCG Original License Application Package
Click the map to view our testing locations by state, date and time. We currently offer testing in the states that are dark blue.
What You Need to Know About Testing...
Mariners Learning System™ has Coast Guard approved testing facilities located throughout the country. Each student wishing to complete one of Mariners Learning System™ Coast Guard approved courses is required to pass a proctored exam to receive a Certificate of Completion. This Certificate of Completion will be accepted by the Coast Guard in lieu of taking one of their exams for licensing purposes. If a student fails one or more modules, he or she may test twice without delay of the failed modules. Those who do not pass an exam module after three attempts must wait a period of 45 days to retest. The student will be required to complete the entire course prior to being allowed another three attempts at each module. In this case the student must retest and pass all exam modules.
To sit for a proctored exam you are required to have a confirmed date and seat in the Mariners Learning System™ proctored exam room. Without this electronic confirmation you will not be permitted to test.
Testing dates/locations close 14 calendar days before the scheduled test date, therefore you must register more than 14 calendar days before the scheduled test date.
Students testing for the first time and also retest students must register via the online registration. Only students who are currently enrolled in a Mariners Learning System™ course are permitted to register to take a proctored exam.
When you arrive to take the proctored exam you will be required to provide the proctor with a copy of the electronic proctored exam enrollment form, a legible copy of your Coast Guard recognized photo identification, and your online final exam completion letter(s). These copies will be retained for our records per USCG requirements. The list of acceptable forms of photo identification includes:
- U.S. Military identification card
- U.S. drivers license
- U.S. Passport
- Official identification card issued by a State, or local government.
- Official identification card issued by the Federal Government.
- Law enforcement credential, with photograph of the applicant, issued by Federal, State or local government
- Merchant Marine Document issued after February 3, 2003
- Foreign Passport
In addition you will also be required to supply a copy of the Final Online Exam Completion letters.
IMPORTANT NOTE: It is your responsibility to provide legible copies of both your identification and Final Exam completion letters. The proctor will not allow you to test unless these documents are provided. If you arrive to the testing facility without any of these required documents you will not be permitted to take the scheduled exam. No exceptions per Coast Guard policy. No other forms of identification will be accepted.
Mariners Learning System™ Proctored Testing Cancellation Policy
Registered students who are unable to attend their scheduled proctored exam are required to cancel their appointment for testing in writing at least 14 calendar days before the scheduled test date.
Cancellation for testing must sent to the Mariners Learning System™ staff in writing via email to Testing@MarinersLearningSystem.com and the student must receive written confirmation from Mariners Learning System™ staff in order for the cancellation to be valid.
If a student does not notify Mariners Learning System™ via email of their intention to change their confirmed proctored exam date at least 14 calendar days prior to the test date or if a student does not attend the registered test date, a $95.00 fee will be assessed the next time the student registers to take a proctored exam.
If a student does not follow the testing policy once again at a future test date, the student will be charged another fee of $95.00 when they reschedule.
As long as this policy is followed there is NO additional charge for changing a confirmed proctored test date.
Any student who has questions regarding this policy is directed to contact our corporate office for clarification at Support@MarinersLearningSystem.com